Friday, 14 January 2011 – Antarctica


ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE

When I looked out my window this morning I was dazzled by the white continent - a clear blue sky, calm seas and the sun shining on mountains of pristine snow. Throughout the day the only colours outside the ship’s environment were white, the blues of the sea and sky, and black and greys of rock showing through the snow and ice and of seal, penguins and birds. Magic!

Despite the clear skies, glass-like seas and little wind, it’s still very cold on deck. I spent at least 7 hours outside, coming in to get thicker gloves, hot chocolate or change lenses. So the majority of passengers were rugged up to the teeth – except for a couple I saw on the back deck around 8 am who were in HAL’s cotton bathrobes taking photos. No, they weren’t on their way to the hot tub but had come to breakfast dressed like that in the Lido and stepped outside to take some photos. To each his own – except I personally wouldn’t go to breakfast in a hotel restaurant in my dressing gown, and certainly wouldn’t go out in the outside temperatures around here without being rugged up – it’s too uncomfortable.

This morning we cruised through the Lemaire Channel and into Paradise Bay. If I thought yesterday was great viewing, it ranks as 6 against today’s 10. Looking ahead as we were going along the channel you’d think we couldn’t go any further then suddenly there would be dog-leg turn and the Veendam would continue gliding through. We were very close at times to the sides of the channel. I didn’t see as much sea life as yesterday, some seals resting on icebergs and penguins either swimming or also on icebergs. Paradise Bay wasn't named for its beauty but because it was a safehaven for whaling vessels in storms.
 

Going through Lemaire Channel








Chilean station in Paradise Bay
 

Paradise Bay
 

Paradise Bay
 
We saw a few other vessels, a sailing boat which brings down about 6 passengers and a couple of smaller expedition ships. We saw a couple of places where the expedition ships allowed passengers to land in zodiacs and in my opinion paying 4 times what I’m paying for the privilege of saying you’ve stepped on Antarctic rock or ice isn’t worth it. Neither place was particularly interesting, you were restricted to the shoreline – but you would have got a great shot of the Veendam cruising past! It’s really surprised me where the Veendam has gone, virtually a lot of the same places as the expedition ships without the landings. Add to that the visit to the Falklands to see those wonderful king penguins – priceless!

  
Yacht carries about 6 passengers to Antarctica

I don’t have the attention span of a gnat but after spending hours on deck yesterday, again today and tomorrow, by then I’ll have had my fill of Antarctic scenery for now. You can only take in so much of this beauty before you start suffering from sensory overload and start thinking of going inside for a nap or a read. I’m staying outside to absorb it all but I’ll be glad to have a boring old sea day soon.

I sailed to Alaska on HAL’s new 14 night Alaskan cruise last June as just about everyone raves about Alaska. I would describe it as my least favourite destination  – although scenic it didn’t really appeal to me - but this cruise is stunning. At dinner in Canaletto’s tonight I was speaking to another CCer, Pat, who loved Alaska and has cruised there twice and wants to go back but even she rated Alaska as a 2 against the 10 of this cruise. High praise indeed!

1 comment:

  1. Having done the expedition cruise with landings, I'd have to disagree about the landings not being worth the extra dollars. But each to his own. I wouldn't have paid the $s just to be able to say I landed on Antarctica, however. For me, it was all about the proximity to the penguins and other wildlife, and the solitude found in a quiet spot communing with the glory of mother nature.

    ReplyDelete