November 5 2012

Home Again

For the fourth time on this trip I have crossed the International Dateline and Sunday November 4 was nonexistent. Even though we were late leaving LAX, we arrived into Sydney a little ahead of time (you can always count on Qantas to step on the gas) and I used the SmartGate at immigration and sailed through without queues.

Being the good little Aussie that I am (and paranoid about having a starring role on Border Security), I always declare anything I have that might warrant the Customs and Quarantine guys a second look – normally food or wooden objects, etc. Which is exactly what I did this morning, and was so relieved I did as there was a big sign just before Customs and Quarantine inspections that Border Security was being filmed there today. (For those who are unfamiliar with this show, it focuses on passengers being questioned by officials because they are trying to bring illegal goods and substances into the country without declaring them, or are trying to enter the country illegally. We have very strict rules on entering Australia as we are free of rabies, foot and mouth, etc. and our government will fine and prosecute offenders.)

Half an hour after stepping out of the airport I was going through my front door – and checking out the fridge. After a shower, some wine and pate I now have to contemplate unpacking, washing and facing work tomorrow.

With a future cruise deposit for a 22 to 35 night cruise made a few days ago, I also have to consider what looks best – a Collectors cruise in either the Med or out of Sydney next year or the 34 night Australian Circumnavigation. I have grown to love sea days so enjoy the longer cruises but I guess I should check in with work first! I’ve still got Rajasthan and the Galapagos on my bucket list though.

8 comments:

  1. Glad to read that you arrived home safely. I really envied you this cruise and even looked at it in the thoughts of joining the cruise, but commitments to my non paid job were in the way. It sounds like a wonderful time! Someday I hope to get down under and enjoy Australia - lots of places there I would like to see.

    Debbie (from the Veendam Antarctica cruise)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, I'm sure you would have had just as great a time as me. Maybe we'll have to do a cruise down my part of the world sometime! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today Jan 14,2013 and reading your blog was wonderful. I live in San Diego and seeing things through your eyes was wonderful and my sis and I have this cruise booked for Oct 3 out of San Diego.
    Thank you for putting your spin on things to do...Next cruise will be in your part of the world.

    Thanks
    Pam from San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the second time that I read you blog. Once before, when this cruise was on my "bucket list" and today, since it is now a fait accompli. We are booked on the 29 Sept cruise departing from Vancouver. Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. Louise & RĂ©mi, Ottawa ON

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louise and Remi, I'm glad you found my blog helpful. It's a great itinerary and I hope I've been able to give you some ideas on what to do - one not do, as the case may be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bev, I just completed this same cruise and had a great time. It was fun to re-live some of my experiences through your blog. Have you cruised since this one? Love your photos also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Suzanne, Glad you enjoyed your cruise. I have an upcoming 24 night cruise out of Venice on the Nieuw Amsterdam but as it is so port intensive I am not sure if I will be blogging live or doing it in bursts throughout the cruise. Bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either way, I will be following along. Enjoy your trip.

      Delete