October 22 2012 Bora Bora, French Polynesia

Another day in Paradise

As there was no early morning sail-in today, I started the day with breakfast on my balcony. How neat is that! My neighbours don’t seem to use their balconies much so I was able to enjoy the early morning in solitude.

Today I had another excursion booked through Patrick, a 4WD tour of the island. Eight of us joined Frank, our driver, as we set off around Bora Bora. All was good until we hit the offroads – narrow, steep, rocky, rutted roads with roller coaster elements at times. I soon found out that I was sharing the back of the jeep with some screamers – and I was one of them. I sat at the back of one of the side benches so that I could take photos but it was also in this position that you tended to get squashed as the jeep went uphill and everyone slid into you. Going downhill, I had to cling onto the back tyre so that I didn’t slide downwards. All up, an adventurous, fun ride but definitely not recommended for someone with back problems or suffering from motion sickness.

Our tour stopped at two vantage points, first to look at WWII cannons put in to protect the island from the Japanese, and the second with a great view of the lagoons, where we had a snack of fresh mangos and finger bananas.







Like yesterday, we circumnavigated the island, this time by land, stopping for a quick photo stop at Bloody Marys on the way back to the port.

Once back at the Vaitape, I had a look around the small town but black pearls, shell jewellery and paroes didn’t really interest me (been there, done that) so I took a few photos and then stopped in the supermarket and bought a few supplies. You’d think that with such a great supply of food on the ship you wouldn’t need anything else but sometimes it’s nice to have something savoury (i.e. Pringles) to snack on in your cabin while you’re watching a movie.



I went out onto the bow to watch the sailaway from Bora Bora, a beautiful sight.

Ship's bell out on the bow

No comments:

Post a Comment