October 23 2012 Mo’orea, French Polynesia

Bali Hai

Another breakfast enjoyed on my balcony – I’m ensuring that I make the most of the balcony as I paid so much for it! And what a beautiful location - Mo'orea was used for the setting of Bali Hai in 'South Pacific'.


This morning I had booked a shore excursion through Holland America - Motu Beach Picnic and Ray Feeding. After tendering ashore (we moored in Cook Bay although James Cook never stopped there – he anchored in the neighbouring bay) we transferred to one of two flat bottomed boats. The morning was overcast and stayed that way as we made our first stop in part of the lagoon where there were a number of sting rays and black tipped reef sharks. The sting rays had to compete for the food as circling birds would swoop done and take it out of our guide’s hand before the rays moved in.


We then went on and stopped at a motu where tables and chairs had been set up on the shore. Like Tahaa, there were coral beds between two neighbouring motus. Masks and snorkels were provided if wanted but once again I had my own gear and, again, the fins have proved to be worthy every cent as I was able to effortlessly view the tropical fish for long periods. Before lunch while it was still overcast I saw a lot of fish, but after lunch when the sun came out, more varieties of fish seemed to emerge from the coral. This location offered the most variety of tropical fish I have seen in French Polynesia – and even a greater variety than I have seen anywhere before in my travels. I’m going to have to buy a book on identifying them, even though it will be after the fact.




Lunch was a simpler barbeque than with Patrick – chicken, fish, sausages and salad – but when you’ve been in the water so much, anything is welcome.

There really wasn’t much at the tender area, so I headed back to the ship for a shower. When I came out it was raining in earnest and I was so glad that I did a morning excursion. It was nice, though, listening and watching the rain for a change as we really haven’t seen much so far on this cruise.


We had just 3 hours to cruise to Papeete but the weather turned worse and after two attempts to enter near Papeete, Captain PJ and the local pilot decided not to try a third time because of strong winds, rough seas and the narrow channel entrance. Instead we will stay offshore tonight and the Westerdam will try again early tomorrow morning when it is light.

On another note, today I received my copper medallion, recognising my 100 sea days I have cruised with HAL, along with an invitation to a pre brunch reception and then the usual Mariners Society brunch.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your great work, Bev

    Moorea certainly was the inspiration for Bali Hai in the 1958 movie South Pacific. The beach scenes were mostly filmed at Hanalei Bay on the island of Kauai. The pier that was so prominent in the movie is still there.

    ReplyDelete