2 October 2012 San Diego

Gone Troppo
 
So how do the San Diego Zoo polar bears cope with the current heatwave?  They don’t have the layers of fat they would have if they lived in the Arctic so today they were enjoying sunbaking and eating melon while having a refreshing dip! They also enjoyed some carrots, supplementing their normal diet.
 
 
 

 

 


The other animal exhibit I really enjoyed was the hippo pool. Two hippos were roughhousing in the water and with the underwater viewing I had a great view. It was amazing to see how easily they moved in the water, and surprisingly for their size and weight, they were very light on their feet, bouncing around and hardly touching the pool floor at all. Last year in Africa they didn’t look as dangerous as what I saw today as then so much of their strength, size – and teeth – were hidden under water.

 

 

All the above photos were, obviously, taken through glass, hence the scratch marks and reflections.


 

I only spent a few hours at the zoo before visiting Balboa Park next door, built for the Panama –California Expo of 1915-16.  There were some beautiful buildings which I had briefly glimpsed from the plane before I arrived on Sunday.
 

 


 
I caught the bus back Downtown, had a look around Horton Plaza and then headed back to the hotel.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment