October 1 2012 San Diego

Times Past

Sydney could take some pointers from San Diego’s public transport system. Today I used the trolley (light rail) to get around. It was clean, fast, efficient and inexpensive. $5 gets you a day pass on the light rail and bus system here – a bargain! As a visitor who isn’t interested in renting a car for the day, this system got me to everywhere I wanted to go to today.

The Green Line Trolley



First stop was Old Town San Diego State National Park which consists of restored and reconstructed buildings reflecting San Diego’s past history. The two places I found most interesting were the McCoy House (reconstructed) with its Victorian décor so very similar to numerous places back home and the San Diego Union (original), the newspaper and printing office. The same great grandfather who sailed around Cape Horn and worked in Valpariso which I visited last year on my Antarctic cruise, worked as a printer for a newspaper in San Francisco during the same era that the San Diego Union was operating, hence my interest in this small basic structure.




San Diego Union printing office



From here it was time to get serious and I hit the malls, first Mission Valley and then Fashion Valley but couldn’t buy what I really wanted – a swimsuit. With a heatwave going on, there are only mismatched swimwear pieces on bargain racks! What a disappointment. Some of my purchases would have surprised me six months – running gear. Who would have thought it!

The heatwave is continuing but I haven’t found it too bad as although it’s hot it is a dry heat and quite bearable.

Tomorrow I plan to visit the San Diego Zoo and see how the polar bears are coping with this heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment