October 28, 2012 At sea

Dire Straits

Today’s activities were pretty trivial – or rather trivia: travel trivia, the normal 30 day cumulative trivia and showstorm trivia. And I’m sorry to report that my teams didn’t fare well in any of them. The travel trivia, which I normally excel at, was based on knowledge from this cruise, requiring answers to questions such as which atoll was the County of Roxborough wrecked on, etc. I knew the name of the wreck but not the very forgettable atoll where it landed up, and the other questions were just as obscure (if you hadn’t been attending the port lectures or listening to Jason’s commentary). The showstorm trivia was a pictorial/aural based trivia on sports stars, musicals and movie stars and we didn’t do too badly, but didn’t win. We are still holding position in the cumulative trivia.

We had a farewell Cruise Critic lunch today which the Westerdam Front Desk and dining staff did a wonderful job of supporting – individual invitations delivered a few days ago, A3 vellum menus, mimosas, etc. Most of my trivia team sat together so that might be why we didn’t do so well after imbibing several mimosas.

It was nearly a case of ‘eenie meenie minee mo’ this afternoon. I had the difficult decision to attend the cupcake afternoon tea or participate in the ‘On Deck for the Cure’ 5km walk which raises money for breast cancer research through participants making a donation of at least $15 and receiving a t-shirt and pink wristband.

I chose the walk and finally got my joggers and exercise gear out of hibernation. 5km is 9 laps of the Promenade Deck and I am happy to say that I completed the 9 laps easily, even jogging the last 2 as a fellow passenger had to finish quickly in time for a pedicure appointment and I kept pace with her. I’m now feeling guilty that I haven’t been doing at least this every day.

Afterwards pink lemonade and fresh fruit was served, although I think they could have at least saved a few of the cupcakes, but maybe they were focussing on healthier alternatives.

After working up a sweat my gym clothes were no longer my last set of clean clothes so I rang to confirm what time my laundry would be returned this evening. Horror of horrors, there has been a mix-up and my laundry bag has been sitting unwashed in the bowels of the ship for the last 2 days – and with the usual turnaround, I probably won’t have it back now until the day after tomorrow. Although I have handwashed some items, they usually don’t dry completely overnight but I quickly scrambled and am hoping that at least one top will be dry by morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment