October 9 2012 Lahaina, Maui

Fronting up

We moored off Lahaina this morning and tenders started to ferry ashore those who had booked HAL excursions at 10am. Half an hour later they then called for those with priority tendering (those in the Penthouse, Deluxe Suites and 4 star Mariners) and finally the rest of us could head ashore at 11am.





I’ve been to Hawaii several times over the years and stayed in Ka’anapali so today I concentrated on wandering along Front Street, Lahaina. It was very hot and humid with heavy cloud cover never straying from the mountain tops behind the town.











I avoided the jewellery stores and poked around the historic buildings and art galleries. One that caught my attention was that of photographer, Peter Lik. It wasn’t that he was an Australian that got my notice but rather the fact that he is the only photographer to sell one of his images for $1 million! His work is mainly landscapes and nature and I found them truly stunning!

This evening I booked to see ‘Ulalena’ at the Maui Theatre, a show about the mythology and legends of Hawaii, which was choreographed by Cirque du Soleil producers. What a visual and musical feast! On board I had been told that you could take photos as long as you didn’t use flash so I took the following photo before I was told otherwise. This gives you a little idea of what some of the show was like.


By the time I got back to the ship, dining service had finished so I ordered room service.  All up, I’m pretty happy with how I spent the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment