October 8 2012 At sea

That’s Entertainment

Another fine day at sea. The temperatures are getting warmer, about 23oC early in the morning with some clouds in the sky.

I attended the Good Morning Westerdam talk where Jason interviews a staff member most mornings on sea days. Today he spoke to Geoff, the HR Manager, and passengers also asked questions. Working for a large big corporation myself, I found it interesting to hear of life at sea and working conditions for the crew.

I also attended for the first time one of the exploration talks given by Jack Hardy – Pirates, From Ancient Egypt to Modern Somalia. The other guest speaker, Anton Koekemoer, has been focussed on Space exploration but I haven’t caught up with his presentations yet.

This afternoon Matilda and Patrick gave an encore performance with new material and the Vista Lounge was packed with all available seating occupied, and people sitting on the stairs or standing at the back. Again, I have never heard an audience laugh so loudly at a show at sea and Patrick received a standing ovation at the end.

Matilda and Patrick

The entertainment tonight was Annie Francis, an Australian singer and she was very good too. The guest entertainment on board would have to be the best I have seen in a long time. I often complain that HAL’s entertainment is aimed at an older demographic but this is certainly not the case on this cruise and the quality of entertainment is great!

From one extreme to the other, but still very entertaining – I then sat in on the karaoke competition. One young passenger thought he was Michael Jackson reincarnated – what a hoot. He even had the DJ firstly in hysterics and then finally lost for words!

Clocks go back another hour tonight and tomorrow we make landfall – Maui.

Postscript:  Internet access is shocking. Although I get a strong signal in my cabin, I can't get the login screen so I have to go elsewhere on the ship to upload this blog. On the Veendam, as I was able to use the internet in my cabin, I was able to login at odd times during the day and night when there was less demand. Not so on this cruise!

No comments:

Post a Comment